Sweet Potato Scones
These scones are heart friendly. They're low in saturated fat because they're made with oil instead of butter.
- 1 3⁄4 cups (245 g) plain flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup (250 g) cooked, mashed orange sweet potato
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup (60 ml) low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg into a small bowl. Stir together sweet potato, oil, milk, egg and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in flour mixture just until evenly moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Pat out to a 2 cm-thick round. Cut into rounds with a 6 cm biscuit cutter. Place rounds on a baking tray about 2 1/2 cm apart.
- Gather up remaining dough. Pat into a circle; cut out remaining scones.
- Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Makes: 12 scones
Preparation: 12 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes