Many fruits can be stewed: berries, rhubarb, stonefruit and dried fruit. Adjust the cooking time so the fruit is soft and plump but not mushy.
- 1 kg green apples, such as granny smith
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- cream, ice cream or custard, to serve
- Peel, quarter and core the apples.
- Cut each quarter into three wedges.
- Place in a wide saucepan and sprinkle with the sugar, stirring to combine.
- Add the cinnamon stick, lemon zest and 2 tablespoons water.
- Bring to the boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender, gently turning them occasionally so they cook evenly. Don't stir too much or they will become mushy.
- Serve warm with cream, ice cream or custard, or allow to cool and use in another recipe.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes