Rosti with Horseradish
Horseradish cream adds a lovely flavour to this traditonal Swiss dish.
- 400 g potatoes
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoons horseradish cream from a jar
- 6 spring onions
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
- fresh parsley or chives, to garnish
- Peel the potatoes and coarsely grate them into a large bowl of iced water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, then use your hands to squeeze out as much water as possible. Press dry with a clean tea towel and place in a bowl.
- Add the egg, horseradish cream, spring onions and salt and black pepper to taste and mix thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Drop eight mounds of the mixture into the pan and press down with the back of the spoon to make potato cakes 5 mm thick.
- Fry the rosti for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until firm and golden – you may need to cook the rosti in two batches. Drain well on paper towel and serve hot, topped with creme fraiche and garnished with parsley or chives.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 8-12 minutes